Saturday, July 14, 2007

What's in a Name?

Its a lot of pressure to name a person. I know, I know, they can always change it when they are older. But I think there is merit in finding a name that suits and will not tarnish all their childhood memories.

That said, I am less than two weeks away from my due date and Baby Pea is still nameless. Not for lack of thought or consideration, but we just haven't found the right name.

CPea does have a name for her sister, George. That is what she has been calling this baby since we mentioned that babies need names. In fact, all of her little classmates at school ask when George is coming. George is a fine name, in fact, one of my favorites. But when taking into account that it is somewhat gender specific and was based on CPea's love of the Curious George. It doesn't stand out at the best of choices for our baby girl.

My darling husband seems very unconcerned about this, for reasons that escape me. Perhaps it is because when push comes to shove (literally) there is only one of us who is going to have enought wits about them to fill out all that naming paperwork-and that person won't be me.

So with his trump card in mind, the pressure is on for me to find a name. Otherwise I may end up with a daughter named Eunice Optimus.

I think we can all agree that is not a best case scenario. Its not even a good cocktail party story. Should any name suggestions come in to your head in the next few days, please send them my way!

2 comments:

the mama seal said...

I like George, perfectly appropriate. I am also fond of New England old-money names...like Greer... just sayin'.

D.D. said...

Dear Peaparents,

Not that you haven't thought of these, but I love Lauren, and also adore Hope, which, while used twice in our family, remains a very lovely name, worthy of repeating. Sadly, it's been hidden away, reduced to a silent H. in the middle of things.
Think about it. Hope. She "sings the song without the words, and never stops at all" - surely she is a child happy and blessed.

Caroline's DeeDee